[iDC] introduction

Heather M. Whitney heatherwhitney at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 29 21:07:30 UTC 2014

It's been wonderful reading all of these fantastic introductions. I am very
much looking forward to meeting most of you at the upcoming conference.

A little about me:

I'm a Bigelow fellow and Lecturer in Law at the University of Chicago Law
Schoo [my bio <http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/22494>]. I'm also a faculty
affiliate at Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet & Society [same bio
<https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/hwhitney>but with a picture].

The article I'm currently working on looks at both the affinity groups and
communication channels available to Silicon Valley tech workers *within the
workplace *and whether they act as a substitute for traditional
unionization. Related to this, I'm also looking at the ban on so called
"company unions" and whether the above mentioned organizations and
mechanisms act as a modern work-around to it. If they do, I want to explore
whether that's a good thing for workers in increasingly fissured workplaces
(borrowing the language of David Weil
<http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674725447>).

I believe I'll be on some panel or somehow discussing my work at the
conference and am very interested in comments and insights. So please
please please email me or find me in November and talk to me in person.

Best,

Heather