[iDC] [Introduction]

Trebor Scholz scholzt at newschool.edu
Sat Sep 27 15:12:02 UTC 2014

security, privacy, and legal safeguards against commercial and governmental
surveillance, many Facebook dwellers want to call it quits. That's hardly
surprising and  I’m definitely one of them, ...still trying to break
through the 5-friend glass ceiling on Diaspora though.

At the same, I am wondering if the for-pay option that Ted Nelson,
Christopher Soghoian, Ethan Zuckerman, and others considered in different
forms would be a valid response.  On social networking services, such move
would turn privacy from a human right into a commodity.

Trebor