[iDC] RE. Ello--Alternative to Facebook

Elliot Vredenburg elliot.vredenburg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 16:59:00 UTC 2014

I too would gladly pay a user fee to avoid the monetizing of my data, on FB
especially, and Ello's model of voluntary payment seems to at least throws
a bone to that option.

There's been some interesting work on palliative responses to the stalemate
of VC-funded dataveillance (see Finn Brunton and Helen Nissenbaum's
work on data
obfuscation <http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3493>,
and Daniel Howe and Nissenbaum's Ad Nauseum
<http://dhowe.github.io/AdNauseam/>, for example), but it seems to me that
the two options for social networks that we're frequently provided
with—either paying for membership or sacrificing all your user data—are a
bit unimaginative, to say the least.

Not to say we're permanently stuck at this impasse, though: One example of
of an attempt to design our way out of this box is the tale of Jeremy
Rubin's Tidbit (read the EFF brief here
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/02/eff-challenges-new-jersey-subpoena-issued-mit-student-bitcoin-developers>),
a code that allows a user to trade some of their CPU cycles in exchange for
blocking ads. Despite being quickly hit with a subpoena and taken down, I
think it's these kind of approaches that will allow us to rethink the
horizon of VC-funding that is difficult for tech to see beyond.

Best,
Elliot

Elliot Vredenburg
elliotvredenburg.com