[thingist] a matter of time

Wolfgang Staehle w at thing.net
Wed Apr 22 18:42:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 23:29 +0100, _manu Luksch wrote:

> I was wondering which catalyst triggered the search for a physical
> exhibition space and if it will mainly be for 'exhibition'or also other
> in-progress functions? maybe I am just generally hungry for more of your
> thoughts &intentions about the new space....

hi manu,

the search for the space is still on.  we had a lead for a temporary
"free" space on the ground floor of a luxury condominium building on
canal street, but the developer wasn't happy with the project we
proposed.  the project, initiated by christoph draeger, was to be an
installation by by democracia, called the "welfare state:"
http://www.democracia.com.es/proyectos/welfare-state/

here's the response from the developer relayed by our broker:
I just got off the phone with S*** P*******.  He decided he would not
like to present WELFARE STATE in his retail space because of the
negative "implied" statement it made on real estate development and how
it indirectly made a negative statement on his luxury condominiums or
could be perceived as such.

so much for that idea.  these guys are just not sophisticated enough to
realize how cool they would look if they would do something mildly
controversial.

so... no program this spring.  i will have a few more meetings with
potential supporters to revive the idea of a permanent space, preferably
in the lower east side.  if anybody has some real estate intelligence to
share, send it my way...  <w at thing.net>

later,

wolfgang