[thingist] What about a subjective, evolving, archive?

Joseph Nechvatal joseph_nechvatal at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 14:37:45 UTC 2010

 > number one, MoMA still has the box of ephemera (flyers, disks, posters,
> press releases, the classic thing baseball cap, etc.) that was given to
> barbara london about ten years ago (...)

Well, this should be returned ASAP!

> number two, jerome joy, who runs the audio lab at villa arson in nice,
> started collecting snippets of history on the web and on mailing lists
> and put a web site together:  A brief history of The Thing - '91 to '07
> http://thing.nujus.net/index.php?page=The+Thing+History
> (this was a spontaneous individual initiative, so kudos to jerome!)
> it's by no means a comprehensive history, but an excellent starting
> point.  and as if anticipating this discussion, jerome installed a wiki
> for the collection of more material which - as i understand it - now is
> open to everyone to contribute.  maybe jerome can say something more
> about this:  http://thing.nujus.net/

This is a joy to discover!! Needs to come out of the shadows, I think.
Jerome, if you write (edit) a condensed version of this I will create a Wikipedia page from what you send me. Unless there is resistance to this idea. Of course this can be amended at any point.

> gunther reisinger also took three large containers of documents from our
> filing cabinets and had them scanned and put into an on-line archive.
> unfortunately the reproductions are so small that they are virtually
> useless.  i also would have liked to be involved in the prioritization
> and contextualization of the material (as far as i know, this was done
> by a young intern); at the moment i cannot make heads nor tails from it:
> http://netpioneers.info/node/17

A cruel joke. I just look a look - well not even a look as the images are ANTI RETINAL!This perhaps should be taken off the net and the material returned for a proper treatment (someday).
I still think giving everything to a professional or university archive could/would mend all the blows against the empire and restore TT's sense of dignity.
+Joseph