[thingist] Unmanned

Jordan Crandall actor at jordancrandall.com
Fri Feb 17 20:38:20 UTC 2012

Dear Thingist members, I would like to invite you to my performance on
Saturday Feb. 25 at Eyebeam.  It¹s my first full-scale performance work.  I
hope to see you!  Jordan

JORDAN CRANDALL
UNMANNED

Saturday, 25 February 2012
4-6pm
Eyebeam Center for Art and Technology
540 W 21st St.
New York, NY 10011
212.937.6580
http://eyebeam.org

Jordan Crandall's Unmanned is a work of "philosophical theater": a blend of
performance art, political allegory, philosophical speculation, and intimate
reverie that explores the changing nature of masculinity in the face of
automated technologies of war. Jordan conducts a series of monologues in the
guise of seven different characters, supplemented with stage action, video,
and sound. Each character is an archetype of masculine identity struggling
with its own agency and role in the field of deployment -- historically the
most complex issue in the field of military endeavor.

The action takes place in the desert borderlands of the American Southwest
and revolves around the crash of a drone into a surburban backyard. The
crash is investigated through the agency of a detective who attempts to
discover its cause -- the place where the fault resides. Along with a
trucker/cowboy who searches for drone crashes along the borderzone, he helps
orient the performance away from the failure itself and instead, toward its
productive power. The crash becomes a destabilizing force that dislodges
conventional associations and reorganizes the field of awareness. With
actors rendered newly mobile, all kinds of novel players enter the scene,
and a new ontological framework begins to take shape.