[thingist] Research about Internet Art for King´s College London

juana romero juana.romero.caro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 15:31:50 UTC 2015

I am a postgraduate student at King's College. My degree is a MA in Arts
and Cultural Management.

For my current MA I am conducting a research about Internet Art.The main
focus is about the challenges that Internet Art has brought to the art
world and how the art world is giving value (not only commercial, but
artistic value) to this art form.

Since one big part of net.art and online culture are mailing lists like The
Thing, nettime and rhizome, I would like to start a threat about Internet
art to know what curators, artists, collectors and visitors think about the
topic.

Some of the questions I am working around are:

1. How do you define Internet Art?

2. How do you judge an Internet Art piece?

3. What is that excites you the most about Internet art?

4. What do you think is the most important input that Internet art brings
to the art world today?

5. How do you curate Internet Art? What do you look for in Internet Art?

6. Are galleries a thing of the past when we think about Internet Art?

8. Are online platforms for display a way of institutionalizing Internet
Art and give this kind of art a legitimization in the art world?

9. How is the art world dealing with the fact that net artists are jumping
the ropes of the art world by showing their art without any need of
validation? How will this affect your role as a curator?

10. Who collects Internet Art?

11. How do you sell Internet art? Do you materialize the idea?

12. Do you find a difference between traditional artists and Internet art
artists?

13. Are Internet art audiences different than museum and galleries
audiences? If so, do you think is important to form new audiences for
Internet art?  How is the art world, or you in your role as a curator,
developing these audiences?

14. Are we in the “post-object” era and what does this mean to your role as
a curator?

As part of my research project I am also making an Internet art piece of my
own that will become part of my dissertation and that will be informed by
the conversations I have with people about Internet art. If anyone would
like to have a small talk over Skype about it I would be thrill to do it

I appreciate you reading my e-mail, and I will be looking forward to your
response.

Thank you so much.

All the best,

Juana Romero