[iDC] Spammer de la Silicon Valley

dave cormier coarsesalt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 12:05:54 UTC 2007

http://andrewkeen.typepad.com/the_great_seduction/2007/08/the-french-medi.html

You know... it's one thing to be spammed and something entirely different to
be spammed by a blog post in a mailing list. :P

Assuming this isn't a very funny joke...

I've been seeing more and more of this as the second wave of internet users
become more and more prevalent. Mr. Keen, of course, is not part of this
community, but as the audience is becoming increasingly less critically
informed (by volume), this kind of advertising is becoming possible. I was
pointed to an interesting conversation at the emerge blog yesterday
http://elgg.jiscemerge.org.uk/briankelly/weblog/802.html detailing the same
debate. There is something inherited from the faceless advertising of the
past that somehow empowers people like Mr. Keen and Mr. Kelly to spam
everyone with their comments.

There needs to be some way to enforce some kind of silence on this kind of
message. I would love to explore this idea, for instance, in my blog. I
clearly can't. This is an attempt at creating 'buzz' through all the means
at this person's disposal. Nevermind the fact that there are niceties.
Ignore the fact that there might be some kind of community with standards.
(of course, for all I know, this ad is appropriate here) Anything that I
post in my blog, no matter how derogatory, is simply supporting the overall
goal.

Any ideas?

dave.