[iDC] Reference: Skills For Participatory Culture

Bernie DeKoven bernie at dekoven.com
Sat Jan 6 12:27:30 EST 2007

re:

> WHAT SKILLS DO KIDS NEED IN ORDER TO BE FULL PARTICIPANTS
>
> Emerging Skills:
>
> Play -- a process of exploration and experimentation.

I think we might do well to consider not just play, but PLAYFULNESS as a
skill that is of great value to full participation. As a skill, it implies
an ability to invite others into play, to understand the structure of
dialogue well enough to make the implicit, ex- Playfulness, to me, implies
an attitude of openness, responsiveness, willingness to engage, experiment,
and, from time to time, to fail.

This willingness to fail, which I think is so central to the experience of
playfulness, requires, especially in forums such as this, a social contract
that is fundameltally supportive. In other exchanges, where the community
engages "flaming" and personal attacks, playfulness is nowhere to be found.
And though there may be an open invitation to participate, the quality of
participation becomes less and less inviting.

Perhaps we should also add MATURITY and COMPASSION.

--
Bernie DeKoven
funsmith

http://www.deepfun.com