[iDC] Re: The Ethics of Leisure

Ryan Griffis ryan.griffis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 19:57:48 EST 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 11:02 AM, idc-request at bbs.thing.net wrote:

> This is the intellectual market dialectic as I see it - As more noise
> flourishes, one has to be on lists, blogs, etc constantly - the
> more the
> better.  On the other hand, this consumes one's life to point where
> there
> can be nothing but practice.

Patrick's post called up some recent reading - Chris Rojek's "Culture
and Leisure" (2000), where he has a pretty thorough analysis/history
of criticism surrounding leisure and work. This discussion on the
list seems to be covering some similar territory...
Rojek talks about 2 kinds of leisure (borrowing from someone, whom i
can't remember) - "Serious leisure" and "casual leisure" - serious
being the kind of activity that is focused and "beneficial" to life
goals (participating on lists, or going to art museums for example),
casual being things like drinking and surfing the tv. He does a
pretty good job of critiquing this dichotomy while finding a use for
classifying leisure time. Most significantly, he discusses the need
for an "ethics of leisure" to help shift things from the "work ethic"
that dominates US life especially. he marginally gets into the
implications of distributed technology upon both of these "ethics",
mostly using the cache of Western critical theory surrounding
rationality and commodity fetishism (predominantly the Frankfurt
School).
he also goes over some post 1970s theories that attempt to solve the
problem of work, following post industrial criticism (Galbraith, etc)
- namely in ideas like guaranteed wages, decreasing work hours,
redistributing wealth to narrow the income gap, etc. he has some good
criticism of these as solutions, especially the idea that more
leisure time wouldn't improve many peoples' lives without developing
a radical ethics of leisure. he goes a little too far in the
direction of arguing "human nature" as a barrier to solving wealth
inequities for my predisposition, but he makes some valid points
nonetheless.
anyway, i thought i'd throw out another discourse around ethics that
seems to intersect with the discussion here...
best,
ryan