[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 04:20:09 EST 2007

A possible solution to this tension between an intellectual and
non-intellectual approach to creativity is not to assume a Jungian attitude
but rather a Laingian. That is, accept the schizophrenic nature of the beast
and assume both approaches, although not necessarily at the same time. This
allows for a reflective approach to creativity that helps the artist
critique what they are doing and see it in context whilst also allowing them
the space to do stuff that doesn't really make sense in relation to any
methodology. As a practicing artist I oscillate between these positions
several times a day. I can't imagine any other way of working. I often argue
that one of the great things about being an artist is that you do not need
to be right, you do not even need to make sense...you only need to be
interesting.

Coming back to the subject of the PhD through creative practive, I guess it
is conceivable that if you could describe the cathartic character and other
elements involved in the rather less than intellectual qualities of being an
artist then you could articulate this as a qualitative methodology and
include it in your PhD. Never seen it convincingly done though. Until then
it would seem that for the artist the PhD will only be complementary to one
half of their approach to what they do (if they follow the schizophrenic
example above).

But that's not half bad.

Regards

Simon

On 17/1/07 17:44, "Myron Turner" <mturner at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> My take on this comes from being outside of the university--at least I
> have been for 12 years now.  I am, (was) a professionally trained
> scholar and writer, with a Ph.D., a full Professor at 42, the same age
> at which I gave in to my Jungian shadow and began to make art seriously,
> and I've been doing that for almost 30 years (which probably adds up to
> one of the oldest living new media artists on the planet).  In the
> humanities the Ph.D. trains professional intellectuals.  I could never
> argue that being a practicing artist and  professional intellectual are
> incompatible, but the Blakeian in me believes that they are an
> uncomfortable fit and that in this relationship the artist is the more
> likely partner to suffer.

Simon Biggs

simon at littlepig.org.uk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/
AIM: simonbiggsuk

Research Professor, Edinburgh College of Art

s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
http://www.eca.ac.uk/