[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Myron Turner mturner at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 18 11:53:11 EST 2007

I don't disagree with Dew's point (quoted below).  I didn't reject the
artist as intellectual.  After all, Dew is right.  Look at this list.
But I did place a qualification on the place of the intellectual in the
life of an artist:
> I could never argue that being a practicing artist and  professional
> intellectual are incompatible, but the Blakeian in me believes that
> they are an uncomfortable fit and that in this relationship the artist
> is the more likely partner to suffer.
I think Simon, with whom I also agree (also quoted below), put the
dichotomy much more wittily and clearly than I did.  One can be an
artist and an intellectual.  But the artist, like Walt Whitman, has the
right to assert:  "Do I contradict myself, well then I contradict
myself" (please don't hold me to the accuracy of the quote)  It's there,
in the space set aside for self-contradiction, that the uncomfortable
fit resides.

I would also like to correct another wrong impression I may have left.
Danny Butt wrote: "an enquiry through practice that is in the PhD form
has to be, contrary to Myron's suggestion, precisely oriented toward
one's peers, because this is the core of the apprenticeship/reflexivity
that allows craft and disciplines to develop."  There cannot be anything
more exciting for a young artist than the crucible of exchange found
among one's peers.  I know this from my own experience as a young writer
and it was something I missed as an artist, having come to it so late.
But I don't believe the Ph.D. is either necessary or sufficient to this
vital experience.  My main concern is that we don't encourage a
narrowing of the audience for new media by training artists who put
theory before practice and end up talking only to themselves inside the
ivied walls of academe.  As I said in my earlier post, it can make a lot
of sense for a mid-career artist to enroll in a Ph.D. program.  But I
think that younger artists, if they can do without the financial
supports of the university, should stop at the MFA and give themselves a
chance to breathe and to test themselves in the "street" (to use Tom
Sherman's term).

Myron

dew.harrison at rgu.ac.uk wrote

Simon Biggs wrote:
> A possible solution to this tension between an intellectual and
> non-intellectual approach to creativity is not to assume a Jungian attitude
> but rather a Laingian. That is, accept the schizophrenic nature of the beast
> and assume both approaches, although not necessarily at the same time. This
> allows for a reflective approach to creativity that helps the artist
> critique what they are doing and see it in context whilst also allowing them
> the space to do stuff that doesn't really make sense in relation to any
> methodology. As a practicing artist I oscillate between these positions
> several times a day. I can't imagine any other way of working. I often argue
> that one of the great things about being an artist is that you do not need
> to be right, you do not even need to make sense...you only need to be
> interesting.

Myron Turner
http://www.room535.org
http://www.room535.org/woodblocks