[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Margaret Morse memorse at comcast.net
Sat Jan 20 15:12:50 EST 2007

Dear IDCs,
so sorry I haven't moderated since my last post Wednesday.  I had
lots to do, but it was exhaustion from "working hard with cold"
aftermath that felled me.  I enjoyed the interaction on IDC and will
miss that aspect now that I am a "normal" subscriber, mostly lurker
again. Thanks to Trebor for the opportunity and the idea to have a
series of media education related themes!

  I'd like to respond to the posts made since I last posted and thank
Andrew for setting up a wiki!  My home department's "hybrid" practice
and critical based Ph.D. has gone through the next to the last
hurdle, so the issues we've discussed will be of value once we go
about realizing our long-anticipated degree.  I will want to identify
the concerns and considerations raised in this conversation  for
myself and colleagues and when I do, I'll post them on the wiki.
Please post any additional information or thoughts you
have--especially if you have ideas or urls or material in hand and
are wondering where to put them.

--Nina noted;
"I do miss contributions on the subject from countries beyond
North America, Australia and West Europe - as I am aware
of emerging and established programs in for example
East Europe and Asia -  relevant information would benefit the
overall picture."

If you are involved or come across such valuable information, the
wiki and list) would be a good place to share it.  Her is our call to
you Eastern Europeans and Asians (and Africans and South Americans)
to let us know about art-practice based (Ph.D. or ?) programs and
concerns.

--"A. G-C" 's post on the subject of "Several educational aspects" in
response to Patrick and the University of Al Aqsa reminds me that
survival issues include not only the forms in which we educate, how
we are sorted and our access or not to which educational
institutions, but also existential matters regarding the possibility
[and necessity] of educating at all in difficult to disastrous
circumstances.

--Dew Harrison heeded the call (Thank you!) and posted on the
practice-based Ph.D. at CAiiA and the value of applying "a long term
of intense in-depth critical thinking to ... usual working methods
can be an enhancing and rewarding experience."  Later in his post:" I
have to disagree with Myron Turner by saying that artists ARE
intellectuals (particularly after Duchamp!), they are creative and
critical thinkers who enjoy the rigour of a good debate - look at the
postings on this list! Artists think their way through their work and
read and contextualise in order to do this."  Dew suggests the
importance of intertwining of art practice and critical research and
the need to reconform a Ph.D. model that has been developed in the
sciences and humanities for the arts.
--Simon stressed the difference between academic and general analysis
and acknowledging the role of artists who function beyond and without
academia.
--Myron also wanted to inflect the argument as not one of either
academia or street but of stages in an artist's development.  A Ph.D.
program at a more seasoned stage of an artist's development may
retain the possibility of an exchange with peers beyond academia.

--the issue of approval mechanisms was broached by Danny, batted
around a little and returned to again in posts by Ellis and Myron.
My impression is that is a truly thorny issue since it involves both
honoring interdisciplinary differences and the specialness of the
arts while maintaining legitimacy in the context of other more
powerful academic disciplines.

--Dew ends his most recent post with "Art praxis-based PhDs are
evolving and it is up to us to determine our own methodologies within
this new research area and make the PhD exercise fit our needs rather
than the other way round."

Many thanks for making this discussion such a pleasure.

--
Margaret Morse
Chair of the Digital Arts and New Media MFA Program