[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Grant Kester gkester at ucsd.edu
Sat Jan 20 17:12:10 EST 2007

Dear List,

I've very much enjoyed the exchanges on Practice-based Ph.Ds. We're
launching a new concentration in "art practice" within our existing
Art and Media History Ph.D. at UCSD so it's been a great help to
learn about other's experiences. We're not a "new media" art practice
Ph.D. per-se (although it's likely that some of our students will
work in this area), but there are still some meaningful overlaps.

Although the philosophical discussions about knowledge production,
cultural capital, etc. are enlightening, I'd be interested to hear
some more materialist analyses re: Practice-based PhDs. New Media Art
(insert your name of choice here) is probably the most intensively
capitalized art movement in the history of modernism. The levels of
funding at the university level, as well as the economic support
provided to new media art centers by EU governments (ZKM, to use one
example), is unprecedented in terms of the speed and intensity with
which it has developed. To make a somewhat specious parallel, try to
imagine a similar outpouring of academic teaching positions,
publishers, conferences, dedicated exhibition centers, graduate
programs, etc. devoted to performance art. The very absurdity of the
comparison suggests a key difference; new media art operates at the
interstices of the cultural and the economic in a unique way,
relative to the cottage economies of painting, sculpture,
performance, etc. Consider the central role played by the corporate
sector (telecommunications conglomerates, software and hardware
developers, game developers, etc.) in funding or partnering with new
media art festivals, university programs, etc.  There are a number of
implicit assumptions here (the idea that new media corporations are
somehow less exploitative than traditional corporations, that they
encourage creative problem solving, innovation, etc. in ways that
cross over effectively to the arts and thus insulate them from the
kind of scrutiny that would normally greet such alliances).  This is
in part mythic, but it also reflects the ideological effect of the
division of labor between hardware production (which can be
outsourced) and software production (which still requires a cadre of
quasi-autonomous creative types who have sufficient knowledge of
popular culture circuits to produce a competitive software product).
The outsourcing of software production to India and elsewhere will no
doubt erode this division, but it continues to operate.

The rapid assimilation of new media art at the university level is a
product of two obvious forces. The first is enrollment pressures, as
hard pressed art departments, eager to show that they could pull
their weight relative to the sciences found themselves swamped by
undergraduates eager to get jobs in the new media economy (whether
they were really equipped to do this is another question). The second
factor has to do with the growing pressures on universities
(especially public institutions) to cope with the neo-liberal assault
on government support of higher education by establishing cooperative
agreements with private corporations interested in their research-
product (and of course, with getting access to advanced students
trained at public expense). The UC system spearheaded this opening
out to the private sector with Clark Kerr's concept of the
"multiversity" in the 1960s and '70s. Today new media art programs
are often developed in direct or indirect conjunction with game
developers, software companies, etc. and the "technology transfer"
office is a key nodal point. In either case, pokey little art
departments suddenly found themselves with levels of economic and
institutional support, and access to circuits of power at the
university level that were unprecedented and often intoxicating. In
my current research I'm trying to work through some of the
implications of what is, essentially, a new form of arts patronage
(the research university, operating at the matrix of public and
private funding streams).

Can any of the listers with experience in building new media art
Ph.Ds comment on the relationship between their programs and
departments and the larger institutional ecology of their
universities, especially as they relate to economic pressures vis a
vis private sector investment? I  know we're switching to another,
related, topic, but perhaps this question will cross over a bit?

Best wishes,

Grant Kester