[iDC] Will you delete your Feedburner account?

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Thu Jun 7 12:39:42 EDT 2007

Peter Bihr wrote:

> Maybe a standard, or badge, or commitment to some kind of standard
> body could be a way to go here, so that companies could adopt a
> standard of easy-in, easy-out as a sign of good quality and trust.
> We'd all know what we're in for.
I was about to post a similar comment to my post before - advocating a
"Whitelist" of such 'quality'  services. But I held it back, because it
seems to be a very difficult problem to solve.

These are some issues with whitelisting web20 services:
- to avoid digg-style hype it would need some sort of authority, which
goes against the 'feel' of web20
- requires a lot of work to have quality (i.e. time for reviewing, etc.)
- is difficult to provide impartial information and not follow trends

Nevertheless such a body would be very useful - especially for cases
such as the "feedburner" buyout
- users can help users deal with privacy issues
- forum can share information on how to facilitate easy-out's
- forum could suggest alternatives for easy-in's
- body could assists new services to reach an audience and critical-mass
(users)

--AS