[iDC] RE: An Inconvenient Youth and Second Life

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 03:22:31 EST 2007

Thanks Julian and Ana. It seems that Ana was talking about 2 different
things, which are now untangled: one market share, and the other ideological
dominance. Neither would seem 100%.

I'm not an expert on games (I don't play), but from where I live, I see
Korean and Japanese dominance is at least as importance as U.S. In Thailand
Ragnarok has 1 million users and uses some kind of asian medievalist
environment. Might be patriarchal, western-influenced to some extent, but
not exclusively.

I would like to add provocatively that American-style Hollywood movies, are
a lot less patriarchal than many Asian movies, a lot more inclusive, and
actually have a lot of misandrous content, if you read this:

http://mqup.mcgill.ca/extra.php?id=51

quote: "We began this book, the first volume in a trilogy called Beyond the
Fall of Man, by noting that many pop cultural artifacts and productions from
the 1990s said very negative things about men."

Again, as a non-expert, and after reading Joi Ito's account on the matter,
do the new generations of games not include an increasing amount of
cooperative logics?

Michel