[iDC] Introducing: Real Costs & Oil Standard

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 09:20:13 EDT 2007

Dear friends,

Here are some resources that bring extra background to the issue mentioned
in Christiane's forward. It's also an excercise aiming to show the richness
of resources we have been building at our wiki.

Peter Barnes new book is Capitalism 3.0, see
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Capitalism_3.0

I think he can be classified amongst those who want to achieve a natural
capitalism, that takes into account the limits to growth, but since
capitalism is actually predicated on growth, I personally prefer to
distinguish markets from capitalism.

Natural capitalism is at http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Natural_Capitalism

Markets without capitalism, see here:
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Markets_without_Capitalism

Barnes institutional solution is the use of Trusts to manage physical
commons.

Trusts, see http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Trusts and
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Trust-based_Property_Rights

Physical Commons, see http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Physical_Commons

The goal may be either a Steady-State Economy, or even negative growth, see
the Decroissance movement which I found to be quite influential in France.

Steady-State is at http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Steady-State_Economy and
Decroissance is at
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Decroissance

All of the above is predicate on a deeper analysis of what is abundance and
what is scarcity, see
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Abundance_vs._Scarcity

On 5/15/07, John Hopkins <jhopkins at neoscenes.net> wrote:

> >Oh, and if anyone want to reduce their carbon footprint - I have a
> >lot of land to plant trees on. Seriously, how about integrating a
> >"click here for a donation to plant a tree" into the FF plugin.
> >Aren't some airlines already offering that as part of the ticket
> >purchase???
>
> USE LESS ENERGY in any/all forms (heating, cooling, Light, calories,
> constructed/assembled objects made from any elements, etc, etc, etc)
> -- realizing that anything that comes into your personal system from
> the social system that you are in has an energy cost as it is created
> and then delivered to you -- when you use less of this energy, you
> move your position lower on a sliding scale of consuming.
>
> You will lighten up...
>
> Everyone on the earth sits on this sliding scale somewhere.  It is
> well within human nature that humans have a footprint when they move
> through the world, and they, by nature cause relative concentrations
> and depletions in the natural system, moving it at least temporarily
> out of balance...
>
> Consider, for example, the last 5 emails sent on this list.
>
> :-\
>
> They totaled 28 kb in size.  Not counting the headers and other info
> necessary for proper transmission, the actual content to be read
> totaled about 2 kb.  The difference being taken up by excess reply-to
> garbage that is noise versus signal.  It takes incrementally more
> energy to send larger datasets.  Trim verbiage, turn off the quote
> function on your email client, and you'll slide a bit lower on the
> energy consumption scale.  Anything you can do to decrease personal
> or collective consumption of energy makes a difference.  Obviously
> there are larger and smaller items, and one large item can consume
> quantities of energy several orders of magnitude greater than smaller
> items, but each item counts in two ways -- lowering one's dependence
> on larger social systems (regaining personal autonomy) and decreasing
> energy consumption.  Always.
>
> cheers,
> John
>
> I second Andreas' comments on IT-as-solution to environmental problems...!

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html;
video interview, at
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm