[iDC] Learning Ecologies

elana langer elana.langer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 15:55:37 UTC 2010

Hey IDC'ers

Trebor, thanks for inviting me to IDC!

I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Elana Langer, and I've been involved
in education, commercial media production, and technology for the
non-profit sector for the past ten years. I currently teach in the
Media Studies Department at the New School University, am developing a
new media intervention strategy for the polio eradication campaign in
Nigeria, and a program to get youth participating in a form of visual
apprenticeship programs in Brooklyn. I've worked across Canada, the
US, Africa and Asia trying to innovate opportunities for learning
through media. The most identifiable program I worked with, was One
Laptop Per Child, where I worked with the 'learning team' to develop
an educational infrastructure for the laptop in countries like
Mongolia.

Introducing educational ideas or practices in the developing world
forces one to reflect on the system that is being exported. I am
hoping to generate a discussion around the system, structure, and
assumptions that we are exporting. If we look at the state of our
institutions, we are seeing bodies that have literally outgrown the
system. With a growing number of learning and anxiety disorders in
young learners appears to be a result of the clash between brick and
mortar education and the "real life world."

Is our fear of changing the system contributing to the anxiety of the
learners within those institutions? Is there an opportunity for
collaborative constructionist educational alternatives between
learners in the US and other countries? What would they look like or
will we always be imposing one system on another?

More soon --
Elana Langer