[iDC] learning ecologies in Second Life and elsewhere

Paul Prueitt psp at ontologystream.com
Sun Apr 11 13:48:29 UTC 2010

I have found it characteristic, for example in Tony Wagner's "The
Global Achievement Gap", for authors in educational reform to talk
about what is wrong with our educational system.  I am sure this is a
common finding.

Trebor's comment, below, focuses on educational philosophies as we
move into digital environments.  I have watched education in Second
Life take some steps towards new educational philosophy, for example
in the Quest Atlantis  project.  However, the clarity in which the
old educational philosophy is held onto is remarkable.

So what is this old philosophy?  Is it reflected in Dewey and
Darwin?  I make the case that the current educational philosophy is
almost 100% supply side in nature.  We supply curriculum and we do
this in a linear fashion.  The results have been that children all to
often reject these curriculums and develop experience outside of the
classroom.  The force of supply education is that we become consumers.

A demand side educational philosophy is defined in The Education
Bridge, www.secondschool.net/bridge.pdf , as necessarily arising from
the inner self.  True natural complexity, and novelty create an
induction.  This is learning in the full sense.

"Demand pedagogy" is developed based on the learning methods of R L
Moore, and applied to mathematics and computer science education.
But the principles involved may be and are applied in constructivist
practices.

Focus topic frameworks are used to give a common structure to an
object of investigation, the curriculum.  The frameworks assist
teachers and students in creating clarity over those topics that the
student is interested in, so individuals each learn different parts
of the topics.  The constructiivism is achieved with "blank paper
test" where student compose from memory the topics that he or she is
comfortable with.  A selection process is balanced with demand for
the inner self and supply form the framework.

Social networking tools are then used to unify the classes
understanding over a common core set of topics.

Demand pedagogy is an alternative educational philosophy which we
expect, and hope, to see emerging along with educational practice in
immersive virtual worlds.

This alternative is opposed, and will be opposed, by the habits and
cultural practices which we all commonly refer to as "educational
philosophy".

Paul Prueitt
Northfield VT