[iDC] learning ecologies

Julian Daily julian.daily at g8four.com
Mon Apr 12 15:06:11 UTC 2010

It's no secret that often going to school means that kids powering down. The
digital age is everywhere, but in schools. Our experiences have been that
without proper planning and support for teachers technology in the classroom
just means technology...sitting... in the classroom.  No surprise, right?
The bureaucracy that needs to be in place, however, extends beyond just
buy-in and infrastructure. We like to think about the difference between
technology for instruction (meaning teachers are using them to enhance their
more didactic practices), and technology meant for expression (meaning kids,
with the help of teachers, utilize technology to create and invent).  With
this perspective, if technology is going to do more than recreate existing
practices, the challenge, in part, will be changing the views of the nature
of knowledge and the possibilities that exist when technology is
incorporated into the larger ecology.

--
Julian Daily
g8four