[iDC] Off Topic: Defining networked art

Radhika Gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Sun Dec 19 14:44:43 UTC 2010

Good point Aharon.

might be  a good idea to start doing a search for locative media (art) as
well... and see how it connects/relates to the notion of networked art

Dale Hudson and Patricia Zimmerman have some work about Locative media where
they talk about the
spatio-temporal reconfiguring that that reflects...

    Hudson, D., & Zimmermann, P. R. (2009). TAKING THINGS APART: LOCATIVE
MEDIA, MIGRATORY ARCHIVES, AND MICROPUBLICS. *Afterimage*, 36(4), 15-19.

also - I dont know how many of you are also on the Air-l list proc - but
recently there was an exchange about MMORPGS and Virtual worlds and
someone fwded a link to a thesis that does an interesting critique that in
my reading dislodges the ever continuing binary of virtual and real in the
way that we articulate our research projects... (see
http://info.tse.fi/julkaisut/vk/Ae11_2009.pdf )

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM, <aha at aharonic.net> wrote:

> Hi Heidi and all,
>
> I do, like Brian, think you are researching a very very interesting
> subject.
>
> However reading through the posts a question came up. Can it be that
> the very interesting struggles/questions you are having are precisely
> because art you refer to resists definitions based on materiality,
> media, concepts, political stance, locality, etc..?
>
> All the best!
>
> Aharon
> xx
>

> Quoting Heidi May <mayh at ecuad.ca>:
>
> > Armin,
> >
> > Thanks for your thoughts. I will have to read over your links and
> > think more about all of this. I really appreciate your input.
> >
> > For now though, I do want to clarify that I don't intend to take a
> > technology-neutral view of networks, I just don't want to over-
> > emphasize the technology of the networks. And in order to do, I feel
> > that certain theories of being (ie. Jean-Luc Nancy) might better
> > inform a fuller and broader understanding of the notion of network and
> > network culture. I'm also influenced by Kazys Varnelis's writing "The
> > Immediated Now: Network Culture and the Poetics of Reality"
> >
> http://varnelis.networkedbook.org/the-immediated-now-network-culture-and-the-poetics-of-reality/
> >
> > I am now wondering if there was something in what I wrote that gave
> > you that impression (I will have to examine that more, maybe there is
> > something I don't see in how I am communicating my interests). It
> > could be that I didn't clearly express what I perhaps take for granted
> > with my work, in that this is a critical inquiry into the role
> > technology plays in our lives. For me, it is quite obvious what the
> > advantages are and I think people see this quite clearly, and perhaps
> > they see clearly the strong disadvantages. However, I'm interested in
> > exploring the complexity and what is not made visible. Yes, in some
> > cases, this may be the abstract qualities and the symbolic exchanges
> > and the potential for learning. But...the theories of learning I refer
> > to discuss how we often actually learn through conflict and
> > difference, through situations of tension.
> >
> > "Similar to see mail art as a predecessor for net art is all well in a
> > certain sense but in another way it is a bit misleading. networks are
> > now near ubiquituous, you have them on your phone and on your
> > computer, you have them even in quite remote areas. networks and
> > computation are still the major driving engine of economic growth -
> > which is something you cant say of the postal networks of the
> > 1960s-70s."
> > -- Yes, I'm glad you are pointing these things out as it is keeping me
> > in check with the complexity of my research.
> >
> > "Now those net-entrepreneurs still understand the net much better than
> > many artists and theorists which is unfortunate because what they are
> > planning is both admirably smart and really evil and goes on unchecked
> [...]

Radhika Gajjala
Director, American Culture Studies
Professor of Communication Studies and Cultural Studies
101 East Hall
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH  43403

http://personal.bgsu.edu/~radhik