[iDC] Introductions

John Willinsky john.willinsky at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 16 04:07:43 UTC 2011

Hi, I am John Willinsky, and I am excited to be part of this MobilitySHifts event this fall. I work in the School of Education at Stanford but am perhaps not a typical ed school person as the focus of my work is on the why and how of making the research and scholarship that people working in universities produce more freely available.

I do this through the Public Knowledge Project (http://pkp.sfu.ca) which produces open source publishing platforms for journals, conferences, and soon books, with this software (freely) downloaded and used around the world by over 10,000 groups who wish to share their typically peer-reviewed research and scholarship freely with the world.

While I can't help much with the coding of this software, I do design work and research on this idea that sharing knowledge freely could be a good thing, good for learning, good for democracies, good for research. Im terms of This work of mine hinges a lot on the idea that the "intellectual properties of learning" constitutes a distinct class of intellectual property in an economic and legal sense, with a long history behind it, and I trust a bright future ahead of it, which is what I plan to address at MobilityShifts.

Thanks
John