[iDC] Introductions

Jonah Brucker-Cohen jonah at coin-operated.com
Wed Jun 22 18:07:31 UTC 2011

Hi IDC List!

Trebor asked me to introduce myself to the list, although I probably know some of you already and have participated on this list in the past, etc...

My name is Jonah Brucker-Cohen. I'm an artist, researcher, and adjnct faculty of Art, Media, Technology at Parsons MFA-Design & Technology and Parsons Art, Design, History, Theory. I've also taught at NYU's Interactive Telecommunications Program and at NYU-Steinhardt Media, Culture, Communication.

I hold a Ph.D. in the Networks and Telecommunications Research Group in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering of Trinity College Dublin . In addition to teaching I'm a practicing media artist and have shown work and given talks about my work at venues ranging from Ars Electronica, Transmediale, MOMA, SFMOMA, ICA London, Tate Modern, and more.. Full Bio here: http://www.coin-operated.com/coinop29/about-2/

For the Mobility Shifts event, I am co-running a workshop called "Scrapyard Challenge" with Katherine Moriwaki (Assistant Professor at Parsons MFA-DT) where we have participants build interactive interfaces from discarded materials, trash, and recycled electronics. We started the workshops in 2003 and have since run them 47 times in over 14 countries across Europe, South America, North America, Asia, and Australia.

We are looking forward to running the workshop for the conference!

Jonah (and Katherine)

Jonah Brucker-Cohen, Ph.D.
Twitter: @coinop29, @scrapchall
Artist, Writer, Professor Based in Brooklyn, NYC, USA