[iDC] epistemology vs. pedagogy

Losh, Elizabeth elosh at mail.ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 28 23:24:17 UTC 2011

Hi John,

Good question!

In the Virtualpolitik book I argued -- somewhat controversially among my fellow rhetoricians -- that the stakes really are epistemological and that the difference between a traditional culture of knowledge and a more contemporary culture of information really is a significant one.  Perhaps somewhat sweepingly I claimed that this difference affects basic structures and infrastructures in all kinds of institutions: universities, government agencies, corporations, etc.

I also argued that informational culture doesn't just mean digital culture and that we can look back to several historical moments to understand our own rhetorical context and our own perceived modernity in relationship to tradition: 1) Aristotle's understanding of necessity vs. contingency against Plato's understanding of reality vs. appearance, 2) the Roman empire and how Livy, Horace, Ovid, and Cicero conceptualized their word "information," 3) microprinting and other pre-digital miniaturization technologies in the early 20th century and their utopian universalizing aims, and 4) Shannon and Weiner's quantification of information and their related definitions of noise and homeostasis respectively.  I suppose I could have picked a lot of other historical moments to challenge what I think is a tendency to overvalue the novelty of contemporary technologies and undervalue philosophical and rhetorical significance in ways that support public institutions and the possibility of maintaining common resources against the forces of neoliberalism, but those were the ones I picked for that particular book.

I guess I don't really think that epistemology and pedagogy are entirely separable, and what this means for digital educators practically is that A) bridging this gap between formal and informal learning will be hard, since it really does represent a significant paradigm shift but B) we shouldn't romanticize the notion of a "digital generation" or the idea of a radical cultural break with the past because cyberutopianism is just as naive as cyberdystopianian and the reality is that not only will the state not wither away but if the Master Plan continues to be defunded, and we don't have venues for social mobility and research in service of the public sector like the University of California or for social mobility, community cohesion, and life-long learning like the state's community college system the for-profits will continue to generate student debt and misappropriate taxpayer resources in ways very different from the best possible form of DIY education that we would hope for.

In the new book, as in the last one, I'm interested in moments of failure and edge cases that challenge what both sides think is true: cheating videos on YouTube, bad educational videogames designed to teach Shakespeare, abandoned virtual classrooms in Second Life, plagiarism detection software running amok, Twitter experiments that turn into Twitter revolts, "angry professor" videos with clickers or distance learning tie-ins that make everyone look bad, staged participatory culture (aka "academic astroturfing"), etc.

I don't want to mock innovation, but I do want to promote understanding and critique.

Liz

Elizabeth Losh
Director of Academic Programs, Sixth College
Culture, Art, and Technology Program
249 Pepper Canyon Hall
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive