[iDC] epistemology vs. pedagogy

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Tue Jun 28 15:05:13 UTC 2011

Hello iDCers,

it's wonderful to read all of your introductions and to hear about
all of the excellent work you are all doing. Mobility Shifts
certainly looks to be a great event.

May I take the liberty of nudging this listserv back towards
conversation and follow up with a few thoughts and questions?

In your post, Elizabeth, you say, in reference to your book about the
disconnect between the academic learning establishment and socially
networked students:

"Each side is not really fighting the other, I argue both opponents
are actually conducting an incredibly destructive war on learning
itself."

Is this simply because so much energy is being wasted on defining the
terms of this conflict? Or is it a deeper failure of both parties, as
you see it?

Because while I definitely agree that there is a war under way in
education, personally I see it as an epistemological as opposed to a
pedagogical one. Not an attack on learning or even a conflict between
pedagogical models so much as a conflict between different - and in
many respects incompatible - knowledge systems. To my mind the
intransigence of educational institutions is based on their deeply
entrenched allegiance to a literate epistemology that is hundreds of
years old, and the crux of the emerging crisis is not that students
have access to new networked technologies but that as a result of
their having such access they do not define knowledge the same way as
their teachers.

No doubt you have addressed this in your book to some extent, but I
wanted to probe a bit deeper on this subject, and also to raise it in
relation to the many other interesting projects that have been
described in various introductions here, like Anya's ebooks (Anya,
when will these come out please? I would love to read them), as well
as Kiko's ambitious escuelab, Nishant's activist Digital Natives With
a Cause, Michael's inspired visionsofstudents.org, Cathy's revealing
research on attention, etc.

I would ask any of you to feel free to respond to these practical
thoughts about epistemology and how it informs the new pedagogical
models you are exploring. I am particularly interested in hearing
about any situations in which epistemologies collide in the real
world. In Peru and India, for example, I wonder if you have found
that in doing outreach using innovative digitally-driven learning
models that what the students end up learning unexpectedly challenges
(or reinforces) other social power structures? That what is being
learned is fundamentally different from what was being learned in the
traditional academic context? I'm curious to hear if you have any
concrete examples of this.

I would just add that I see this as a very common sort of event, this
kind of epistemological collision. We see it for example in the
academic context which certifies published peer-reviewed research as
more 'true' than, say this listserv post, or in the scientific
insistence that only what can be objectively reproduced counts as
'true', which de facto excludes all 'anecdotal' or 'subjective'
insight into the nature of the world as not true. And of course these
sorts of epistemological determinations have profound consequences at
the political and economic levels, in terms of what can be owned and
by whom, such as a patent on a human gene, or the copyright on a
sound or image, or whether or not a treaty is enforceable, or whether
or not Julien Assange is a journalist, etc. etc.

All comments welcome...

Regards,
John Sobol
--