[iDC] Is there a future for the pubklic libraries?

Anne Balsamo annebalsamo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:09:45 UTC 2011

Thanks Rolf for the introduction and the question:

The question of the ³future of public libraries² was central to a research
project I conducted for the MacArthur Foundation in 2008.  The project was
called ³Inspiring the Technological Imagination:  Museums and Libraries in a
Digital Age.²  My research team blogged our ³literature review² in 18 posts
on different topics that are archived at DML Central (the virtual hub for
MacArthur¹s digital media and learning efforts).

http://dmlcentral.net/resources/3854

These posts might be useful for the sites/cites on this question.

Also:

I take up this question in my new book in a chapter called ³Designing
Learning.²   I imagine a future of public libraries where they function as a
mixed-reality community based ³making space² (or tinkering space), where the
mission is not only the stewardship and circulation of cultural
infoartifacts of various forms (books, maps), but also the community¹s
³garage² where members hang out to mess around with tools (which could be
loaned) and materials (which could be ³harvested² from local basements and
garages) in face-to-face cross-generational creative projects (references to
Ito¹s work is intentional).  Shelf resources are considered evocative
knowledge objects...not just ³books² or concretized media forms.  The
library becomes a process space for the practice of culture making.  Young
ones learn how to sew, elders learn how to edit video.  All would be
supported by a back-end social networking interest-learning match-making
application.  Think Telic¹s Public School mashed up with the Menlo Park Tech
Shop supported by some sort of civic-minded Carnegie Foundation of the
future interested in creating the brick and mortar infrastructure of an Open
Participatory Learning Network.

Book will be out in a week or so:

Designing Culture: The Technological Imagination at Work (Duke)

Anne Balsamo