[iDC] Is there a future for the pubklic libraries?

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Thu Jun 30 13:27:19 UTC 2011

Great description Anne, and Shannon yours is inspiring as well, along
the same lines. What interests me is how these ideas can be realized.
For my part I have been occasionally flogging a detailed business
plan for a place that pretty much exactly matches your description
below for almost a decade. And this is after having built and run
something called Globalhood, a digital playground for at-risk youth,
from 1999-2002. It was clear at that time that the sort of mashed-up
learning environment you're describing was the way to go, but based
on my lack of success in raising money for a business based on these
ideas it doesn't seem to have been obvious to anyone else. At least
not to the people I've talked to.

Or it might be fairer to say that although some of them have loved
the idea, all have balked at the capital costs involved in building
real-world infrastructure like this, because it obviously does not
come cheap. So my question is - apart from the excellence of your
vision, which I wholeheartedly support - where do you see the money
coming from for the massive investment that would be required to
transform libraries into spaces such as you describe? In the current
economic climate my concern is that funding - be it local or federal,
private or public - is not readily available, and nor is the
political will to impose such bold social (and epistemological)
innovations. Rolf, how has this played out in Denmark and Holland?

I do think such places will come into being sooner rather than later,
and probably in a very popular format. But my own take is that if
libraries are to assume this mantle they will have to move fast, both
because every day that they do not change diminishes their social
influence, and more importantly, because this sort of mashed-up
learning/production space can just as easily come out of any of a
dozen other industries. Libraries are competing with the whole world
in this respect, and if someone else gets there first and establishes
this model, what will libraries change into then?

Anyway, I am not meaning to be a downer, since obviously the work
described by participants here is exactly what is needed, but I do
want to add these practical concerns to the mix. I don't think we can
rely on 'a civic-minded Carnegie Foundation of the future', which is
why my version of this place has a sustainable learning economy built
into it. (If anyone wants a look drop me a line).

I think libraries are ideally suited to fulfill the role you have
described below, Anne, and I would like to see them do it, but I tend
to think this sort of change may have to come from elsewhere.
(Possibly Anya's book about DIY learning will reveal some of these
locii). I'd be happy to be proven wrong though, because it would mean
there was a massive and intelligent alignment around progressive
social priorities in corporate boardrooms, library offices, union
halls and city councils. But sorry experience (not quite cynicism)
leads me to wonder if this is possible, at least anywhere beyond the
Shangri-la's for adventurous learning that Holland and Denmark always
appear to be.

Regards,
John

--