[iDC] Social Digital Media

Paul Prueitt psp at ontologystream.com
Sat Jun 25 14:30:46 UTC 2011

idc forum,

The post from Duke University Professor Cathy Davidson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Davidson

stirred me to introduce again to the idc forum a proposal to the
American President, regarding a means to end the crisis in American
education.  I have followed this forum for what seems a long time,
and enjoyed the many threads - all conducted in a scholarly fashion.

There is neurological thesis apparent from web accounts of Cathy
Davidson's forthcoming book:

    "Now you see it, how the brain science of attention will
transform the way we live, work, and learn."

I look forward to finding a copy of the book when it comes out.

***

The neuroscience on selective attention has been an area of my
research since my 1988 PhD in Pure and Applied Mathematics,

    "Mathematical Models of Learning in Biological Systems (Univ of
Texas at Arlington)"

I have been blessed to know leading minds in this field, including
Karl Pribram whom I own a great debt to for his book

     "Brain and Perception", (1991)   and his friendship.

 From what I have seen of Professor Davidson's work, there is an
excellent  thesis that starts a path to the conjecture I make about
why there is a crisis in American education, in the first place,  and
to a proposal to President Obama, or to the next President, on how to
end this crisis.

At core, I imagine that this crisis is self inflicted and thus can be
concluded.  Clearly ending the crisis in educaiton will not be easy.
I look to natural science as the only means that might overcome what
is clearly a state of deep confusion.

A new science will depart from classical science so as to explain now
unexplained observations from physics, chemistry, biology, social
science. economics, and in general systems theory.   The Bell's
inequality is perhaps most famous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem   but this is the tip of
the ice berg, really.

Work like Professor Davidson's on selective attention is filling in
the gap between where we are today and where we will be soon (I hope).

I respectfully introduce my work with the following pdfs, some short
and some long.

A summary (4 pages is given here)

http://www.educationworlds.com/pdf/proposal.pdf

the full proposal is to be in a book form (450 pages)

http://www.secondschool.net/bridge.pdf   (for which I am looking for
a publisher)

A shorter (10 page focus on the science on which the conjecture is
based) is here:

http://www.liftingpedagogy.com/pdf/DigitalSocialMedia.pdf

this also is looking for a place to be published. There are 51
scholarly references in this short paper "Social Digital Media".

The conjecture is that under stimulation, poor stimulation and
manipulation, for other purposes,  by the media and entertainment
industries have cause a biologically encoded "Acquired Learning
Disability". specific to mathematics and science.

Of course, this condition is spreading to all academic disciplines.
It affects all of us and all of our children.  It is memetic in
nature as well as rooted in the various neuro-systems habituation
mechanisms.  Imagine of self (autopoiesis) is involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autopoiesis

Social digital media will either reinforce this ALD condition or be
used to end the crisis in education.  It will do both for a while,
and then a winner will be selected - given the dynamics of
competitive cooperative networks.  This has been my warning to
myself, that the selection process might very well select a "dumbing
down of humanity" as a new challenge to democratic governance.

The neuroscience points to selective attention as a frontal lobe
mediated shift between phase coherent states in brain activity.

Levine, D. & Prueitt, P.S. (1989.) Modeling Some Effects of Frontal
Lobe Damage - Novelty and Preservation, Neural Networks, 2, 103-116.
Levine D; Parks, R.; & Prueitt, P. S. (1993.) Methodological and
Theoretical Issues in Neural Network Models of Frontal Cognitive
Functions. International Journal of Neuroscience 72 209-233.
Prueitt, Paul S. (1996a) Optimality and Options in the Context of
Behavioral Choice, in D. S. Levine & W. R. Elsberry, Eds. Optimality
in Biological and Artificial Networks?, Erlbaum, 1996.

Conclusions?

The entering freshman students no long have the ability to focus on
arithmetic due to the habituation of a failure to understand.  This
failure is not the fault, in any way, of the individual child.  The
system is causing this condition.

The strategy to overcome ALD syndrome is discussed at:

http://www.liftingpedagogy.com/pdf/theLiftingPedagogy.pdf

and a proposal to create 3D simulation worlds with avatars as a means
to reshape image of self is the basis for the 100 M dollar proposal
to the President.

I would appreciate comment.  I look for some collaboration at either
my sim in Second Life or my new Open Sim platform being developed as
a simulated virtual classroom for the college teaching of mathematics.

http://www.educationworlds.com/pdf/immersiveClassroom.pdf

psp at secondschool.net
Paul Stephen Prueitt, PhD (mathematics, computing theory, neuroscience)