[iDC] introductions

Deseriis, Marco m.deseriis at neu.edu
Wed Jun 18 09:36:28 UTC 2014

Dear all,

even though i am always uncomfortable with the performance of the 'I' 'i' will try to do my best explain briefly what this guy who goes by this name does.

Marco is an assistant professor in the program in media and screen studies at northeastern university and his work revolves mostly around the production of subjectivity in the information society. His forthcoming book Improper names (University of Minnesota Press, 2015) is a genealogy of shared pseudonyms that brings together the history of the labor movement (Ned Ludd, Alan Smithee) with the post-modern avant-garde (Monty Cantsin, Karen Eliot) and current struggles for the commoning of information and information technologies (Luther Blissett, Anonymous). As assemblages of enunciation that are simultaneously common and singular, impersonal yet individuated, improper names allow us to think of a third way between the quantified self of the Web 2.0 and the specular politics of anonymity and obfuscation.

At the conference, Alesanda Renzi and Marco will be presenting a paper on the impact of crowdsourcing on media activism and hacktivism. In particular we will return to Deleuze and Guattari's distinction between social subjection and machinic enslavement to analyze two distinct yet interrelated phenomena: 1) the use by media activists of crowdsourcing platforms for the collaborative production of documentaries; 2) and the use of botnets for the organization of DDoS attacks for political ends.

Looking forward to meet you all!
Marco

Marco Deseriis, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor