[iDC] Digital Labor in History and Practice

Jesse Drew jdrew at ucdavis.edu
Fri Sep 12 17:01:00 UTC 2014

Hello everyone out there on IDC.  I’ve been enjoying your posts and introductions on the upcoming conference on labor in the digital realm.  For those of you interested in a very early critique of digital technologies and work, the latest issue of one of my favorite magazines, The Baffler, has published an article on the ‘zine collective I was part of for many years, Processed World Magazine.  Interesting read for those who want to view the evolutionary impact of computers and digital technologies on workers lives and labor.

http://www.thebaffler.com/salvos/world-processor

On a note of praxis, Stories of Solidarity is a social media app for precarious workers that grew out of a hack-a-thon we organized last year.  Our group was brought down to the AFL-CIO convention last Fall in Los Angeles and we are now completing and rolling out the project. You can see a bit more at:

 sos.ucdavis.edu

 Take care,

 Jesse Drew