[iDC] Introduction

Caroline Woolard carolinewoolard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 11:24:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am an artist <http://carolinewoolard.com> and a co-founder of barter
networks OurGoods.org (in New York) and TradeSchool.coop
<http://TradeSchool.coop/story> (in 50 cities internationally), an adjunct
at the New School, RISD, and Cooper Union, and a founding member of
SolidarityNYC.org and BFAMFAPhD.com. After working on networked information
infrastructure (with OurGoods.org and TradeSchool.coop) for the past six
years, I am now focused on place-based organizing for mutual aid,
particularly through community land trusts
<http://madmuseum.org/events/new-york-city-community-land-initiative> in
New York City.

Here are 5 things I could contribute to #DL14 :

1. *VIDEOs on NYC's solidarity economy*: I could speak about the work I did
with Cheyenna Weber, Michael Johnson, and Alex Mallis as the media
coordinator of SolidarityNYC form 2008-2011, producing these videos on
worker cooperatives, credit unions, and the solidarity economy in New York
City: http://solidaritynyc.org/#/videos

2. *ART PROJECT*: I could speak about a project I did last year at
MoMA, turning
police barricades into beds <http://eyebeam.org/projects/barricade-to-bed>
and bringing in Milk not Jails, Feral Trade, and a local beekeeping
collective to produce a cafe:
http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1364

3. *MFAs & DEBT*: I could speak about the impact of debt, rent, and
precarity on culture today, based on my work with Susan Jahoda, Blair
Murphy, Vicky Virgin, Julian Boilen, and many others at BFAMFAPhD
<http://bfamfaphd.com>.

4. *LAND USE:* I could speak about my work on community land trusts
<http://madmuseum.org/series/new-york-city-be-determined>, artists as long
term residents, and the relationship between real estate and culture in
NYC. This would be presented with Stephen Korns, Susan Jahoda, and members
of Picture the Homeless and the New York City Community Land Initiative
<http://nyccli.org>.

*5: BARTER: *I often find myself on "sharing economy" panels with AirBnB
and Task Rabbit founders. As a non-profit solidarity economy co-founder (of
barter network http://ourgoods.org), I argue that these platforms will only
create "sharing" economies of/when they implement shared decision-making
power and shared profit. Recently, I spoke about this
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4wy0JSnTw0> after a summit at NYU's Stern
School of Business.

I'd love to know which topic seems most relevant/interesting to you all,
and to #DL14.

In cooperation,

Caroline

Artist in Residence, Queens Museum of Art
Co-Founder, OurGoods.org and TradeSchool.coop
Core Group, BFAMFAPhD.com

http://carolinewoolard.com